The Dwarf Christmas Tree – Friday Fictioneers

December 16, 2011

This is the Photo Prompt from Madison Woods:

Come up with a story, 100 words, more or less, based on the above picture

According to legend (if not legend, then someone who knows stuff), dwarf Christmas trees hold special powers.

But before you get the axe with the hope of stealing its powers, remember, unlike the goose and its golden eggs, the dwarf’s powers–true to its humble nature–are more pedestrian.

One woman in Charlotte reported remarkable baking abilities after setting a dwarf tree in her home.

A Wisconsin man tells how one helped him snag a monster bass.

Do dwarf Christmas trees hold special powers or is it just season-induced wishfulness?

It depends, you might say, on which bass you ask.

1. December 16, 2011 9:35 am

Dear Both Sides,

Your story read almost like a newspaper article. I loved the tone and could not wait to get to the end to learn the secret of the dwarf Christmas tree.

I’ll be getting one of my own forthwith. Mayhaps it will help me with my writing.

• December 17, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks Doug.

Now that you mentioned it, it does sound newspapery.

I’d like a tree like that to help with my writing, too.

thanks,
      Vincent

2. December 16, 2011 10:30 am

That was really amusing – and well told. a lovely little inside joke with the tree being the winner. Actually sounds like something we can tell our families when we can’t afford a big tree. I think I’ll try it…
    I could use improved baking abilities…
    Lindaura

3. December 16, 2011 11:27 am

LOL yes it does! The bass might give you a different story than the humans. Terrific story! 🙂

4. December 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Ahh, cheering for pedestrian powers, of which this story has many, Robin

5. December 16, 2011 2:45 pm

I loved this approach to the prompt! Totally different (and we’ve had a lot of unique approaches this round). Thanks for joining us today and I hope to see you again after Christmas.

• December 17, 2011 10:58 am

Thank you Madison.

I think this is a great way to get to know other writers and have other writers offer their comments on one’s writing.

Just another reason to look forward to Fridays.

Vincent

6. December 17, 2011 3:57 pm

Very fun post and story! That’s some bass!

7. Russell permalink
    December 19, 2011 6:00 am

I think I’ll set one of those dwarf trees in the boat, lately the fish have not been very cooperative and its time to pull out the secret weapon. Thanks for the tip!

8. May 12, 2012 11:10 am

Just reading this as an antidote to the powerful ‘Line’ and love your humour 🙂

• May 13, 2012 3:53 am

Glad you liked it. I think that was my first attempt at Friday Fictioneers. I turned serious after that, although I still love to write on the humorous side. Thank you.

Trackbacks