Cassie

January 13, 2012

This is the Photo Prompt from Madison Woods:

Come up with a story, 100 words, more or less, based on the above picture

Cassie

A month went by.

Red returned to the spot at the foot of the hill.

Cassie wasn’t there. But something by the rocks caught his eye.  It looked like a tiny acorn that had sprouted.

He reached down.

The closest tree was several hundred feet away.  He studied the tiny sprout in his hand and smiled, certain she’d left it.

She was telling him something.

He placed it gently back on the warm ground beside the rocks and slowly got up to leave.

She was as stubborn as she was beautiful.

He’d miss her.

1. January 13, 2012 1:56 pm

Lots of mystery in your tale. Where was she? What was she trying to tell him? Oh, yes. I want to know more.

• January 13, 2012 5:02 pm

I wanted to leave enough unsaid so I could explore this relationship.

Thanks for the interest.

2. January 13, 2012 2:52 pm

This gave me goosebumps! What a cool story! I love the message from the “other side!”

• January 13, 2012 5:05 pm

I like your take on it. It’s a direction I hadn’t considered. Thanks for your comments.

3. January 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Yes, mysterious! I liked it, but I like stories and films that aren’t entirely explained — I wish I could do that myself.

4. January 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Good story. Often what’s implied, the mystery, is far more interesting than what’s explained.

Here’s mine: http://furiousfictions.com

• January 13, 2012 4:57 pm

I think keeping things open when you’re starting a story leaves more options. Thank you for the compliment.

5. January 13, 2012 3:43 pm

I think this is my favorite one from today. So well-written, with just the right tone of loss. I really think it’s a great little story.

6. January 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Oooh, I love a good cryptic story with my afternoon tea. Very intriguing drabble you have. Well played!

7. January 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Enjoyed this little mystery very much. Thanks for stopping by and inviting me to your post.

Peace,
    Siggi in Downeast Maine

8. January 13, 2012 6:55 pm

That was beautiful…maybe she was telling him to keep going…even without her.

9. January 13, 2012 6:57 pm

ooh, cryptic and yet strangely romantic. I’m thoroughly intrigued!

10. January 14, 2012 2:24 am

Ahhh, yes a well told romance. But from these little seeds love doth grow. Perhaps she was telling him this, but you have indicated that he was going to move on – “He’d miss her.” So the little romance in 100 words has a bittersweet ending. Very good.

11. January 14, 2012 5:35 am

She’s telling him she is pregnant and that he is to follow so that they can raise a forest…

Loved this story in all of its beauty and mystery.

12. January 14, 2012 8:39 am

This is not the first message she has left him–what an intriguing character, Robin

• January 14, 2012 2:13 pm

That’s pretty observant. You’re right, it’s not the first message, but it is the deciding one.

Thanks for commenting.

13. January 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Ohhh, this is a great story. She won’t be back.

This is the link to my drabble: http://quillshiv.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/moll-white-remains/

14. January 15, 2012 4:57 am

This leaves a lot of speculation to the reader. I get an inclination that maybe she was planted beneath the ground a month or so ago and now she gives nourishment to a seed.

15. January 15, 2012 9:06 am

Intriguing tale of romance and yearning in the making!
    I would love to read it in its entirety! Any such plans?

Here’s mine: http://faitaccompli.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/when-the-going-gets-tough/

• January 15, 2012 1:41 pm

I want to develop it but I need to do a lot of prep work on the characters. Everything I know about them so far is in these 100 words. I want to know more.

Thanks for commenting.

16. January 16, 2012 1:36 am

I really loved this little gem. Thanks for sharing it.

17. January 17, 2012 6:45 am

This is a complete piece. Most aren’t. It’s quite an accomplishment — way to go.